Since the Model S Plaid was released earlier this year, the biggest complaint has been about its brakes. Tesla has now provided a solution to that problem, but it doesn’t come cheap.
For a mere $20,000 USD, or $25,400 CAD, Model S Plaid owners can purchase a Carbon Ceramic Brake Kit. This makes it the most expensive item on the Tesla Shop by a wide margin. (h/t: @BLKMDL3)
If you purchased your Model S Plaid with the 19″ Tempest wheels, you are going to have to spend even more money and purchase a set of 21″ Arachnid wheels.
Tesla says the kit is only compatible with the larger, optional wheels. The Tesla Shop however does not yet offer these wheels, but cost $4,500 USD/$5,900 CAD when configuring a new vehicle.
According to the product description, the kit is designed to give you “the ultimate track experience” by delivering “maximum, repeatable stopping power during high-performance driving.”
For that hefty price, you get all-new carbon-silicon carbide rotors, one-piece forged calipers with high performance brake pads, and high-temperature brake fluid.
Here is the full list of what is included in the kit, which will only be available in mid-2022:
- 2x 410 x 40mm carbon-silicon carbide front rotors
- 2x 410 x 32mm carbon-silicon carbide rear rotors
- 2x 6-piston one-piece, forged front calipers
- 2x 4-piston one-piece, forged rear calipers
- 2x integrated, caliper-mounted parking brakes
- 4x high-performance front brake pads
- 4x high-performance rear brake pads
- 1x bottle of high-temperature brake fluid
You can check out the product here.