Energy Plug and Malahat First Nation partner for new EV battery plant near Victoria, BC

Malahat First Nation has announced a new partnership with Energy Plug to build a 100,000 square foot electric vehicle (EV) battery plant on Vancouver Island, British Columbia.

The new plant will produce lithium-iron-phosphate (LFP) battery packs for the Canadian and broader global market. According to the release, the facility will also create 100 new jobs in the clean energy sector on Vancouver Island.

Initially, the facility will aim for 100 MW of battery back production in the first year, scaling to 1,000 MW by year five. Once at full capacity in year ten, the joint venture hopes to produce 10 GWh of LFP batteries annually.

If the ambitious growth targets are met, the facility will become Canada’s largest battery energy storage system facility. The joint venture will see Malahat First Nation own 51 per cent of the company and Energy Plug own the other 49 per cent.

Tristan Gale, the Executive Director of Environment and Sustainable Development at Malahat First Nation, had this to say about the announcement:

Our vision entails delivering the highest quality, locally produced battery technology to enhance industry while building a model that enables sustainability, energy independence and environmental objectives.

Further details will come, including details around the construction timelines and the technology and investment partners in the joint venture.

Malahat First Nation is located on Mill Bay near Victoria, British Columbia.


Are you buying a Tesla? If you enjoy our content and we helped in your decision, use our referral link to get a three month trial of Full Self-Driving (FSD).
Previous Article

Los Angeles County Sanitation Districts purchase fleet of 22 Tesla Model 3s

Next Article

Cybertruck is the ‘Picasso of automobiles,’ Says DeLorean DMC Designer

You might be interested in …