A one-year pilot project by Toronto Hydro and the City of Toronto launched this week with several new on-street electric vehicle (EV) charging stations.
The pilot project will see a total of 17 on-street EV charging stations installed at nine different locations throughout the city. The Level 2 chargers were supplied by FLO, a subsidiary of Quebec-based AddÉnergie.
“The EV charging station pilot is yet another example of our city’s ability to introduce programs that will make it easier for residents to become environmentally friendly and for our city to reduce its carbon footprint,” mayor John Tory said in a statement.
Charging won’t be free, as EV drivers will have to pay while plugged in. Toronto Hydro did not provide the rates, but did say they will be competitive when compared to other public charging stations in the city.
If you’re looking to charge your EV overnight, permit parking regulations are in effect. The charging spots are also not priority parking for EV drivers, as only permit holders with an EV that is actively being charged (plugged in) are allowed to park in these spots.
During the one-year pilot project, usage data and feedback from EV drivers and the public in the surrounding areas of the chargers will determine the future of on-street parking in Toronto.
On-street stations have been installed and activated in the following neighbourhood parking permit locations:
- Alton Avenue near Queen Street East (two charging stations)
- Bowmore Road near Eastwood Road (one charging station)
- Mountjoy Avenue near Gillard Avenue (two charging stations)
- Palmerston Avenue near Queen Street West (two charging stations)
- Shaw Street near Dundas Street West (two charging stations)
- Westlake Avenue near Oakcrest Avenue (two charging stations)
Stations have also been installed and activated at three other locations, including two downtown sites:
- Commissioners Street near Carlaw Avenue (two charging stations)
- Elizabeth Street near Foster Place (two charging stations)
- Wellington Street West near Clarence Square (two charging stations)