Most ONroute rest stops in Ontario to have EV chargers by summer 2022


Ontario Energy Minister Todd Smith and Transportation Minister Caroline Mulroney announced today that most ONroute rest stops will have EV chargers by summer 2022.

Each site will have two Ivy DC fast charging stations, and busier locations will have more.

The two ministers noted that 17 out of 23 ONroute charging stations along Highway 401 and Highway 400 will open by the summer of 2022. A further three ONroute’s will open by the end of next year.

Newcastle, Maple and Ingersoll ONroute’s are currently undergoing renovations. Those three ONroute stops will have EV chargers installed later into 2023 or beyond.

Hydro One and Ontario Power Generation’s collaborative network called Ivy will install the chargers.  A total of 69 DC fast chargers will be installed, with each one being pay-for-use and open for the public.

There will be no direct funding from the Ontario government. However, Ivy received $3.45-million from Natural Resources Canada for the project.

The $3.45 million will cover approximately 30% of the projects total cost. The other 70% is coming from Hydro One and Ontario Power Generation.

Canadian EV Chargers Increase By 22% Since Pandemic – Tesla Makes Up The Majority

Are you buying a Tesla? If we helped click here to email us for a referral code & earn referral credits to redeem for Supercharger credits, merchandise, accessories, and even software upgrades.
About Scott Nordlund 1635 Articles
Originally from the West Coast, Scott is an avid writer & EV enthusiast now living in Ottawa. He holds a MA in Political Science and once played professional football in the German Football League. Email