LG Chem to supply Tesla Giga Shangai with 90% Nickel NCMA cathodes

Gigafactory Shanghai

Tesla will soon begin to use LG Chem‘s latest lithium-ion cells that contain the company’s new NCMA (Nickel, Cobalt, Manganese, Aluminum) cathode materials at Giga Shanghai.

According to a report by Business Korea, the supply order will begin in July and the new batteries will be included in the Model Y.

Tesla will reportedly be the first customer to receive the new battery cells that now contain 90% nickel. The remaining 10% is made up of the other elements, with the cobalt content in the cathode down by about 5%.

The increased nickel and decreased dependance on cobalt, one of the most expensive raw materials that go into making an EV battery, is something Tesla CEO Elon Musk has been trying to achieve for a number of years.

During the company’s Battery Day event in September 2020, Musk asked for more responsible mining of nickel, promising a rich contract for anyone who does.

Source: Business Korea via Teslarati 

Are you buying a Tesla? If we helped click here to email us for a referral code & earn referral credits to redeem for Supercharger credits, merchandise, accessories, and even software upgrades.
About Mike Flemming 784 Articles
Senior Contributor. White Long Range AWD Model 3 owner since October 2018. EV fan since 2012 with my first Nissan Leaf | Mike@DriveTeslaCanada.ca Have a Tesla tip? Email tips@driveteslacanada.ca, or DM us on Twitter @DriveTeslaca