Mazda commits to fully electrified lineup by 2030

Mazda MX-30

As part of the Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030 vision, Mazda will fully electrify its lineup by 2030. Although the company is not going fully battery electric, as the lineup will also include hybrids and plug-in hybrids.

The announcement came as the company looks to retool and catch up to its competitors. In a statement Mazda said they “will deliver multiple electrification solutions to meet various customers’ needs, environmental regulations and the electric power generating infrastructure in the market”.

In 2022, Mazda will introduce the Skyactiv Multi-Solution Scalable Architecture to work with all three powertrain set-ups moving forward. Further to this, the newly developed Skyactiv-X gas engine can be partnered with an electric motor.

In 2025, the company plans to launch the Skyactiv EV Scalable Architecture. This new infrastructure ensures Mazda can have a 25% full EV ratio by 2030. In comparison, the rest of the lineup of plug-in hybrids and hybrids will account for the other 75%.

Also Read: Mazda announces MX-30 EV is coming to Canada and the US later this fall

Mazda certainly has some work to do to catch up to others in North America. Presently, the company does not have any hybrids or EVs in its lineup. However, the MX-30, which is Mazda’s first electrified vehicle, will launch in North America in late 2021.

About Scott Nordlund 236 Articles
Originally from the West Coast, Scott is an avid writer & EV enthusiast now living in Ottawa. He holds a MA in Political Science and once played professional football in the German Football League. Email scott@driveteslacanada.ca