The Michigan State Police Vehicle Test Team announced the results of the 2023 Model Year Police Vehicle Evaluation study.
The study looked at 13 patrol units and three motorcycle units, with the all-electric Ford Mustang Mach-E once again among the list of contenders.
- 2023 Chevrolet Tahoe 9C1 4WD
- 2023 Chevrolet Tahoe 9C1 2WD
- 2023 Chevrolet Silverado 9C1 Z7X 4WD
- 2023 Chevrolet Silverado 9C1 Z71 4WD
- 2023 Ford Police Interceptor Utility 3.0 EcoBoost AWD K8A, 99C
- 2023 Ford Police Interceptor Utility 3.3 Hybrid AWD K8A, 99W
- 2023 Ford Police Interceptor Utility 3.3 AWD K8A, 99B
- 2023 Ford F-150 Police Responder 3.5 EcoBoost 4WD W1P
- 2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E AWD K4S
- 2023 Dodge Durango Pursuit 5.7 HEMI AWD 22Z
- 2023 Dodge Durango 3.6 AWD 2BZ
- 2023 Dodge Charger Pursuit 5.7 HEMI RWD 26A
- 2023 Dodge Charger Pursuit 3.6 AWD 28A
All of the tests happened at the Chelsea Proving Grounds, however much like last year, the Mustang Mach-E passed, but it struggled in some areas.
On the timed laps, the EV fell far behind and had the slowest average lap of the entire group with an average time through five laps at the Grattan Raceway of 1:41.63. The fastest average time went to the Ford Police Interceptor Utility 3.0L EcoBoost AWD at 1:35.42.
As well, it scored in the middle of the pack in terms of ergonomics and brought up the rear in terms of communications.
On the bright side the Mach-E performed well in acceleration testing, showing off the advantages of instant electric torque. The Mach-E led the pack in the statistics for reaching 60mph significantly faster than the other cars at 3.93s versus the 6.97s average, 80mph in 6.37s versus 11.26s average and 100mph in 12.23s versus 17.82s average.
The electric crossover also performed well in the braking tests, requiring the shortest distance (122.8ft) to stop from 60mph.
Here are the final specs from the Mustang Mach-E
- Distance to reach 100 MPH: 0.23 Miles
- Distance to reach 120 MPH: 0.93 Miles
- Top speed: 122 MPH
- Distance to reach top speed: 3.29 miles
- Time to reach top speed: 194.35 seconds
You can check out the full report below.MY2023PoliceVehicleEvaluationTestBook