Electrify America (EA) has unveiled a new electric vehicle (EV) charging station concept that they plan to install in several cities in California and New York.
The new stations will feature an updated charger, solar awnings, and a number of amenities that will “exceed EV customer expectations.”
With these new stations EA will rollout a redesigned charger that reduces that features a number of benefits over their current chargers.
- Brighter screen to help reduce glare from sunlight
- Single connector cable with a new cable management system that makes it easier to plug in regardless of where your charge port is located
- Reduced footprint allowing more stalls to be built in smaller sites
The bigger change is to the station itself, which will feature solar awnings.
The awnings will not only protect EVs and their drivers and passengers from the elements, but also help power the station itself through the onsite battery energy storage systems (BESS).
EA isn’t waiting for these new charging stations to be built as they are currently adding them to 400-500 individual chargers at 100 stations across the US.
EV Charging Experience
EA plans to add a number of amenities at these new locations that have never before been seen at an EV charging station (and some that have).
- Customer lounges, electric vehicle showcase areas, dedicated event space
- On-site security cameras and additional lighting
- Valet charging and curbside delivery options at select locations
The company has already picked out a several locations in California (Santa Barbara, San Francisco, San Diego and Beverly Hills) and New York (Manhattan and Brooklyn).
Construction is slated to begin in 2022 and 2023.
“Electrify America will be reinventing the look and feel at many of our charging stations to meet and exceed the expectations of customers moving from a gas-powered vehicle to an electric lifestyle,” said Giovanni Palazzo, president and CEO of Electrify America. “These new designs will help elevate the charging experience for our customers, building on the foundation of our ultra-fast and reliable coast-to-coast network.”